European Free Improvisation Pages
Begun in January 1995, EFIP was intended to be a comprehensive information resource for all aspects of the type of music known as European free improvisation. It is updated approximately every two months.
Every effort has been made to check the information on this site as far as possible; in most cases the information has been sourced from the musicians themselves.
The latest update is 1 September 2017:
- The first update since March...
- Brand new releases from Emanem and ICP: on Emanem, a 2CD set from Steve Lacy, Free for a minute 1965-1972 and Paul Rutherford's In backward times 1979-2007; and on ICP, Quartet-NL from Benjamin Herman/Peter Beets/Han Bennink/Ruud Jacobs. Hi 4 Head Records have also just released Closer to you by Trevor Watts Amalgam, previously on Ogun LP. Two other recent Dutch releases are Lost in labyrinth by Strings5 on Casco; and the Native Aliens Ensemble on Trytone.
- Euphorium Records have recently issued a 2CD set of solo piano by Oliver Schwerdt, Prestige/No smoking, as well as Short night by the New Old Luten Trio and Die abenteuer des Birg Borgenthal by the Euphorium_freakestra. Elan Pauer's solo piano disc, Yamaha/Speed is also out on Creative Sources who have also released Abdul Moimême's Exosphere. Other Portuguese CDs are: Marcelo Dos Reis's solo Cascas on Cipsela; and, on JACC Records, House full of colors by the Staub Quartet and Timeless from Marcelo dos Reis/Eve Risser.
- Recent releases featuring Raymond Strid include: Liudas Mockunas/Rafal Mazur/Raymond Strid Live at Divadlo 29 on Not Two; The spirit of Pitesti from the Trespass Trio on Clean Feed; Evolving patterns from the Per Zanussi Ensemble on HSPD; and Laura Toxvaerd's Compositions Part 1 on ILK. On Potlatch there's Karoujite from Christián Alvear/Seijiro Murayama; on Césareé there's the self-titled disc from Peter Jakober/ensemb]h[iatus; on FMR there's Five from The Runcible Quintet; on repetidor LP there's Food from Duot/Andy Moor; and on ASM there's Not everything but enough from the Alister Spence Trio.
- New releases on Amirani are: Milo Tamez's OXYOQUET El Volcán Silencioso; SestettoInternazionale's Aural vertigo: the Helsinki & Turku concerts, Finland tour 2015; Szilárd Mezei/Nicola Guazzaloca with Lucca and Bologna concerts; Luca Segala Libertrio's La rete di Indra; and Gianni Lenoci/Francesco Cusa with Wet cats.
COPYRIGHT!! I don't want to get heavy with this but the work involved in setting up this site and
maintaining it on a regular basis is substantial so copyright in this material rests with me (and contributors). At
the same time, I'm happy for the information/files on these pages to be used in any reasonable way. However,
this limited use should also acknowledge both me and the musician/label from
where much of the data originally arose. Feedback would also be appreciated to know
how any of this is being used elsewhere.
Peter Stubley, formerly Assistant Director for Academic Services, University of Sheffield Library.
To The University of Sheffield home page