European Free Improvisation Pages
Begun in January 1995, EFIP was intended to be a comprehensive information resource for all aspects of the type of music known as European free improvisation. It is updated approximately every two months.
Every effort has been made to check the information on this site as far as possible; in most cases the information has been sourced from the musicians themselves.
The latest update is 1 May 2015:
- There's a French element to several of the items in this update so I've decided to bring these (otherwise somewhat unrelated (!)) releases together. First off is the brand new Bloc Thyristors vinyl, the first meeting between Kasper T. Toeplitz/Jean-Noël Cognard/Jac Berrocal, Disséminés çá et lá, with a striking and unsettling cover. Then there's the new Joëlle Léandre CD, her second duo with guitarist Serge Teyssot-Gay, Trans 2, the new duo between Michel Doneda and Lê Quan Ninh: Aplomb on Vand'Oeuvre; and the new Potlatch disc: Christián Alvear's Michael Pisaro: Melody, silence (for solo guitar).
- Furtheremore, one of three new Evan Parker discs was recorded at Montreuil: Trance Map is a special signed, limited edition CD-R from the Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival, background provided on the page. The others are the long-awaited re-issue of Monoceros on psi and Lawrence D. "Butch" Morris' Possible universe: Conduction 192, recorded at Sant'Anna Arresi and released on NBR/SAJazz.
- Other Italian releases are, from Amirani Records, Luca Segala with Cloudriding; and Glance and many avenues from Reciprocal Uncles with Ove Volquartz, and, from Dobia and its relatives, _A Frames, a compilation from various musicians; Clanz klang from Andrea Gulli/Franco Dal Monego; Giovanni Maier/Sebi Tramontana Live at Dobialab; and Giovanni Maier/Andrea Gulli with One day in the life of Mr Quagga.
- The latest John Butcher CD is a duo with Andy Moor, Experiments with a leaf on Unsounds; Hans Koch has a solo with multitracking, Erfolg on Deszpot; on Leo there's Encounters from Luc Houtkamp/Simon Nabatov/Martin Blume; on LJ Records there's Sudden meeting from Susanna Lindeborg/Ove Johansson/Thomas Fanto/Michael Andersson; and California connection from Natural Artefacts (Susanna Lindeborg/Ove Johansson/Per Anders Nilsson/Gino Robair/Tim Perkis).
- There are three new discs from Erstwhile: Jeph Jerman/Tim Barnes' Matterings; Graham Lambkin/Michael Pisaro's Schwarze riesenfalter; and Éric La Casa/Taku Unami with Parazoan mapping. And finally there's Begin from Alister Spence/Joe Williamson/Christopher Cantillo.
COPYRIGHT!! I don't want to get heavy with this but the work involved in setting up this site and
maintaining it on a regular basis is substantial so copyright in this material rests with me (and contributors). At
the same time, I'm happy for the information/files on these pages to be used in any reasonable way. However,
this limited use should also acknowledge both me and the musician/label from
where much of the data originally arose. Feedback would also be appreciated to know
how any of this is being used elsewhere.
Peter Stubley, formerly Assistant Director for Academic Services, University of Sheffield Library.
To The University of Sheffield home page