Photograph copyright Steve Ford.
Born in London in 1971; trombone.
Gail Brand was brought up in Birmingham and returned to London in 1993 to study for a music degree at
Middlesex University. Here she studied with Chris Batchelor and Stuart Hall
and studied composition with Veryan Weston; she graduated in 1996.
She has been playing the trombone for
20 years and in that time has played in all genres of music ranging from classical music to jazz and pop music,
live and in the studio. She has been playing on the London improvising scene since 1994. She was a
member of 'Mingus Moves' with saxophonist Chris Biscoe, trumpet player Henry Lowther and Veryan Weston on piano.
Current associations include:
In 2009 Gail Brand started her own label, Regardless.
- the quartet 'Lunge' with Mark Sanders (drums), Phil Durrant (electronics, violin) and Pat Thomas (electronics, keyboards)
- a member of Simon H. Fell's quintet with Alex Maguire, Alex Ward, Simon Vincent
- a member of Kelsey Michael's group 'Minnow', which includes bassist John Edwards, drummer Mark Sanders and pianist Liam Noble
- a member of the London Improvisers Orchestra (and the earlier London Skyscraper/Butch Morris Conduction Tour of the UK in 1997
- 'The Brand/Morris Alliance': a 'twisted improvising duo' with twisted Keyboardist/Sampler Darren Morris
- 1999, Braced & framed, Acta 13. Lunge.
- 1999, Proceedings, Emanem 4201. London Improvisers Orchestra.
- 2000, Relay eight, 2:13 Music CD011.
- 2000, Daybreak, Emanem 4059. Ian Smith.
- 2001, Freedom of the city 2001: small groups, Emanem 4205.
- 2001, Thirteen rectangles, BF43. SFQ.
- 2000/02, Strong language, Emanem 4079. Lunge.
- 2002, Ballgames & crazy, Emanem 4103. Duo with Morgan Guberman.
- 2002/03, Supermodel Supermodel, Emanem 4126. Gail Brand/Tim Perkis/Gino Robair/John Shiurba/Matthew Sperry.
- 2003, Freedom of the city 2003: small groups, Emanem 4212.
- 2003, Ikebana: London encounters, Emanem 4213. Milo Fine.
- 2003/2004, Four compositions, Red Toucan RT9326. SFQ.
- 2004, Freedom of the city 2004: small groups, Emanem 4215.
- 2008, Instinct & hte body, Regardless R01. Gail Brand/Mark Sanders.
- 2010, grubenklang. reloaded, Random Acoustics Book/DVD.
- 2011, Just not cricket! Three days of British improvised music in Berlin, NI-VU-NI-CONNU nvnc-lp001/004. Tom Arthurs/Steve Beresford/Tony Bevan/Matthew Bourne/Gail Brand/Lol Coxhill/Rhodri Davies/John Edwards/Shabaka Hutchings/Dominic Lash/Phil Minton/Eddie Prévost/Orphy Robinson/Mark Sanders/Alex Ward/Trevor Watts.